Monday, October 09, 2006

Soundtrack for a 20-something Date

This is the cover of my latest CD compilation. I've been on a few first dates lately, with no forthcoming second dates, and I decided, instead of calling them "first dates", I would dub them "free meals". This is pretty bluntly the truth, and it saves my ego just a little.

So, I was thinking... there are songs that pump me up for a date and songs that soothe my rejection afterward and songs that generally put me in the mood for relationships. Why not put some of those songs together on one CD for me?

And I did. Behold- "Free Meal".

1. SexyBack- Justin Timberlake This song pumps me up, gets my energy flowing and reminds me that I'm a sexy lady. Gotta put a couple of those vibes out on a first date, right?

2. Where Are You Going- Dave Matthews Band I would love to have a man feel/think/say/sing these things to me. My favorite line "wherever you go, there I belong". It's about just being with each othere in a way that is simple, yet devoted.

3. Falling for the First Time- Barenaked Ladies This is a song about contradictions that are the reality of life. "Everyone perfect is lying, everything easy has it's cost.... " but it's not cynical, ending "... maybe the worst is behind".

4. So Pure- Alanis Morissette I have loved this song for years, particularly because it starts, "You from New York, you are so relevant" and I overidentify! It's a song to dance to with abandon.

5. Somebody- Bonnie McKee A song about waiting to find the one, knowing he's out there, waiting for him to show up.

6. These Words- Natasha Beddingfield This is the "I Love You" song from Ms. Beddingfield. I am (impatiently) waiting for the day when I can say this with as much enthusiasm as she sings it.

7. Life Less Ordinary- Carbon Leaf Great band, great song... A life less ordinary is what I want, and the point of view in this songs smacks of hope even after rejection.

8. Stay- Dave Matthews Band This song is about love in a simple sense, very tangible and fun and it's a song that makes me sing at the top of my lungs.

9. Suddenly I See- K T Tunstall I'm taken with this woman's voice ("Black Horse and a Cherry Tree") and this song is so... real. She sings about a woman who affects all she passes, so beautiful and good, and "suddenly I see, that's the way I want to be"... and it's the way I want to be.

10. Milkshake- Kellis Just 'cause. High energy, sexy, fun.

11. Knees of My Bees- Alanis Morissette The man Alanis describes, or at least the impact he has on her is what I want. Also, I like the aliteration of "you make the knees of my bees weak".

12. Shine- Collective Soul Almost a prayer, it's a request to find love, the true kind of love.

13. Unwritten- Natasha Beddingfield I love this song. LOVE it. It makes me feel like I can do anything, I just need to be who I am.

14. Gotta Jibboo- Phish Total nonsense, makes me want to dance, especially because I think of my sister and her husband and how they dance to it. Makes me happy.

15.Born to Fly- Sara Evans I belt this song out at the top of my voice. If I could find somewhere to do karaoke, this would be my signature song. The release in this song, the hope... *sigh*.

16. Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy- Big & Rich Irreverent, sassy and fun. Makes me laugh.

17. Let It Be- Beatles This ends my collection, because, no matter what happened or how good or bad my date was, I have to let it go and keep moving forward.

There you have it.... and I've spent the last few days listening to it, over and over....

4 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, "free meals"! LOL ;P

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Jay Noel said...

Wow. Great song compilation. I think you'd make an incredible first date.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Carae said...

Glad I struck your funny bone, Mike! It's all in jest, of course...

Phoenix, thank you! For both compliments! You know how to make a girl all warm and squishy inside...

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I like the Let It Be ending. I agree with you that when all is said and done, we just gotta... Let It Be.
Enjoy all those free meals, and hopefully someone very interesting and wonderful and not self-absorbed will pop into your life unexpectedly. Until then, keep being your beautiful self!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home