Saturday, April 29, 2006

It's Elementary

Lil sis and I went for a hike today. I don't know if New Hope Mills is a local thing or not- they make pancake mix- but we went there to have an adventure. She's always a good sport...



The mill wasn't open yet, otherwise the wheel would have been turning. It's the oldest waterwheel still running in the local area, if not the state. We were a couple days too early!


I find that I'm drawn to the elements- particularly water. It also explains my pyromaniacal tendencies! We hiked down to the streambed and I managed to get my shoes wet...


The ground was all shale- brittle, flaky, and I think really pretty.


It looks like I'm standing IN the stream for this shot, which I really like. We created a semi- dry (remember the shoes?) path through some shallow water to get to a small "falls".


Isn't she the cutest thing in the whole world? She put her hood up so the bugs wouldn't get in her ears!

This was the very top level of the little falls... not so much water coming over, but in the sunlight it was very pretty. Worth the soggy sneaker.

I loved seeing the old millstones outside the main millhouse. It gave me a sense of history. Of course, I had to explain what they were and how they work to my lil sis. Sheesh... do kids learn anything in school these days??


We ended up at the lake nearby... I'm so drawn to the water. It was a perfect day to be out.

4 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What great pics! I love the old mill and the creek. I am drawn to trees and water. If land has trees and water, I'm in heaven!
Your sister is a doll. No pics of YOU though??!!
I'm glad you had a nice stroll on a lovely day.
Just this morning, I had to drop off my son very eary for band practice at church. I had an hour to kill, so I drove a short ways and just sat by a creek. I rolled down the car windows and just listened to the water and the birds.
It was so beautiful.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Ethel said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love your pictures!

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger crallspace said...

Nice!

The water in the last photo looks cold. Was it windy?

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Carae said...

Slightly windy, but not overly so. And it is cold- April in central NY is chilly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home