Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Brings a Smile to My Face


I spent my three day weekend cleaning. How exactly does that go with the title of my post, you ask? Well, I wasn't cleaning just ANYTHING. I was helping my mother clean her bedroom. And your confusion increases....

My mother, God bless her and I love her to bits and pieces, is unorganized. And that's putting it mildly. She doesn't know how to deal with the mess so she finds something else to do. I made her promise to work with me on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for just a little while and we would make progress. She did it! And we've cleared out two areas that were huge problems. We need about another month...

In the process of cleaning, we found old photos of family that date back to the mid to late 1800's. This one, my grandmother, my mother's mother, is not that old. This one is probably taken in 1911. Isn't she beautiful?

My mom grew up on a farm and we have dozens of pictures of what her life was like and how much simpler it was then. She and my uncle went and picked trilliums, dozens of them, and my grandmother dutifully documented it all. Gee, I wonder where I get my shutterbug tendencies from??

I took one bag of pictures and told my mother I would scan them and upload them to the intertnet so all of my family could share them. Now comes the less fun, more tedious part of making sure they are all labelled... but it's worth it. Sometimes knowing where you come from makes the future less daunting.

3 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger crallspace said...

That is a beautiful pic!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Carae said...

Thank you sir! Wish I could take the credit...

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

She is beautiful. Old photos are so neat. I think it is so interesting to look at your ancestors and learn about them and wonder what it would have been like to know them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home