Sunday, May 14, 2006

Back, Again

The fun never stops...

I spent the weekend in the hospital. Friday, I stopped at my apartment between appointments, and I'm glad I did. As I was leaving, my back started hurting pretty bad. I called my sister the doctor and she told me to get to the ER. One of my friends (my absolute hero for the rest of my life after this weekend) took me to the hospital and as I went through triage, etc., my back started to spasm.

If you have not experienced a back spasm, thank your lucky stars and knock on wood because it is the worst pain I have ever experienced. I'll take a blocked kidney any day over back spasms. I was the person in the ER that everyone else is saying, "Would you either knock that woman out or kill her???" A couple doses of morphine later and I was slightly more relaxed, but I've discovered morphine isn't as nice as you'd think it would be. It only lasts a little while. Then the pain comes back.

Of course, when a person's body is in distress, it shows it in several ways. I was drenched in sweat for a few hours, running a fever, and shaking like crazy. I was also exhausted after about an hour of back spasms. This threw my electrolytes all out of whack and caused me to stay in the hospital until this morning.

I have a bulging disc and my left hip is out of alignment. At least I know the problem. So it's off to Physical Therapy with me. At least they sent me home with Vicodin.

3 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You poor thing! That sounds hitonious!!
I remember a guy in college had a terrible back spasm.
He could hardly breathe and he could not move. 911 had to be called.
I bet you are so sore from all the muscular contracting.
Rest and get well.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Jay Noel said...

Oh man...that sounds like a horribe experience. I've seen a couple people have back spasms...they were both grown men and both in tears.

I hope you feel better now.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Carae said...

Phoenix- I'm getting better, thanks. It's gonna be a chronic problem and I have to learn how to minimize the issue and give my back the support it needs. Yeah, back spasms SUCK.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home