Friday, May 26, 2006

Wine and Herb Tour

It was a rather gloomy Saturday in May, but somehow, my friends and I were in high... spirits. The annual Cayuga Lake (one of the Finger Lakes in upstate NY- seriously, look at a map. Looks like a big ol' hand) Wine and Herb Tour had commenced! We made it our mission to visit each of the 16 wineries in one day and nearly made it...

This is Cayuga Lake, with one of the vineyards marching its way down to the shore. I believe this was Goose Watch winery.

Yes, I'm obsessed! Even when imbibing, I can't stop noticing the flowers! These were a centerpiece at the Montezuma Winery. I plan to play around with some effects on this one later on.
At each winery, we were given an herb and a sample of a dish made with that herb (though, sometimes it was just a plant, really. I mean, BROCCOLI is NOT an herb.) This is one of my friends. No, she's not winking. She's had enough wine that only her right eye is continuing to function.

This double daffodil was at my favorite winery, Swedish Hill. There is a picture of me and another of my friends in front of the Swedish Hill sign, but it won't be posted here. We were drunk. Sometimes bad things happen with photography when you're sampling the spirits.

These crabapple trees are apparently appreciating the rainy spring as much as the other flowers. I don't remember the name of this winery because it was toward the end of the trip. Nuff said.

I associate crabapple trees with my childhood. We had one in the backyard and we used to have all-out wars with the crabapples. Funny, my memory has to do with trying to kill my siblings, not appreciation for the beauty of the trees.

This was the Americana winery, and I thought they did a good job with their decor matching their name... I loved the contrast of the vibrant geraniums with the rustic barrel.


My 15 little plants made it home safely and are mostly planted in window boxes (I'm giving Mom the broccoli)! It was a fantastic time and if you have wineries near you, it's a great place to visit. If you like wine. I learned a lot about what I like and why I like it. I feel more confident in trying new wines instead of buying the same old thing now. And it was a damn good time.




7 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"BROCCOLI is not a herb" - lol. Does that tour ever sound like fun! I enjoyed he pictures; thanks for sharing. And have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend, Carea.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Well, (hiccup!) I'm glad (hiccup!) you have a good (hiccup!) time.

The Napa Valley in CA is superb wine country. I have been several times, and have enjoyed visiting spas in the area with my mother and best friend. If you ever visit CA, you may want to include Napa Valley in your visit.

I love the crabapple blossoms. How vibrant!

I hope your girls had a designated driver!!!!!!!!

Have a nice holiday weekend. Lay off the wine! You've had enough already!! :) Coffee, stat!!

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Jay Noel said...

What a great set of pics. I did look up the Finger Lakes, and you're right...it does look just like a giant hand!

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Carae said...

Thanks, all... I appreciate the feedback!

JD- YES, we had a DD. One of the boyfriends doesn't like wine, so he got to haul us around...

Amber- I'm getting there. PT is hard, especially today for some reason! It's helping, though.

Mike- I'll post Mem Day pictures SOON. Hope yours was great, too.

Phoenix- Glad I could share a lil geography!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger crallspace said...

You and your flowers!

Sounds like a good time. I was going to go to the winery outside town yesterday, but the night before did me in.

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos are beautiful!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Thanks for the tour. You know what to do with the business end of a camera, don't you? Great shots.

I came here from Monique's joint. I like yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home